CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 20, 2011

(One of) my sources of inspiration!

Today I wanted to write a post about one of my best friends, Kyle. He is actually the person who inspired me to make this blog in the first place...so if you are out there reading this wonderful little masterpiece, you have him to thank.


I don't know why we always hug in our pictures...taken 6 months apart but look so much alike lol

Kyle has taught me a lot of lessons about life lately, both in person and through his writing on his own blog. I don't know if he is aware how much of an effect his blog has had on me. He writes about things in a therapeutic way that helps him get it out yet share what he has been through. The fact that he is opening himself up in a way that is so honest is admirable to me. A lot of people hide their hurt and aren't honest with their emotions. It's a great example to look up to: I have learned so much about Kyle from reading it. He is also a psychology major, and he has this wonderful gift: he can see things on a deeper level than most. The way he can analyze a situation and be honest about people's intentions, actions or thoughts is fascinating to me.


 Here are some of my favorite quotes from his posts, things that really inspired me or made me think:


-"Finally, as my mind is reeling long into the drive, I remember something obscure my mother always told me: “No matter what happens today, the sun will still come up tomorrow.” My rational self begins defending against the onslaught of the emotional storm. I begin to force myself to take deep breaths...Without fail, I promise myself that I can do anything; that I can get through anything. This has always been my unconscious mantra, though I don’t realize it then."


-"How often does that happen? When does an experience suddenly become so traumatic that the mind turns it into a blur, only remembering a single piece of important information? It happens when you are hit with the realization that everything you know is going to change. It happens when you realize that your secret life and your true self are in complete and total jeopardy."

-"Though I didn't know the word for it, conditional love controlled my life. While I cried, I tried desperately to cover up my tears. Friends and family would hug me and tell me that the holy ghost was filling me up with a warm fuzzy feeling. All I wanted to say was that I felt so lost, that nothing about this felt right. I knew better than to deviate, though. And I cried in silence.
                It’s crazy how I’ve come to equate love to that bench I sat on while waiting to be baptized. Sometimes it looks soft, warm, and unconditional, but a lot of times it’s really hard, cold, and conditional. "

If you want to read more of Kyle's blog, you can check it out here: http://kylecranney.blogspot.com


Some of the the most important things Kyle has shown me are lessons I will use for the rest of my life. He taught me about valuing myself and finding the respect that I deserve. If I choose to surround myself with people who don't treat me well, it doesn't show that I respect myself. It causes others to take advantage of me. Who will respect you if you don't respect yourself? You have to set the bar. And Kyle also showed me that every situtation, no matter how hurtful, is something you can learn from. Everything really does happen for a reason, and its okay to be hurt by whatever happened. You can accept that you feel bad, and dwell on it for a bit. But in the end, it's "dirt on your shoulder, dear!" as he always says to me when I'm sad. But its important to push yourself and get over it after you do mope about it for awhile.


I love when I get to go see Kyle! Today I went over to his house for lunch, and we just had fun talking and laughing. I love his roommate Carie too. She is so genuine, nice and funny. She made MY FAVORITE FOOD for lunch too...thai curry! How she knew I had no idea, but it was so delicious. Sorry to gush everyone, but i'm learning a lot in life and making progress and wanted to share it here. 
Love Always,
Manda

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:) Hugs Manda. Thanks! Love you.

cariesthoughts said...

We need to do lunch again.. Soon!!