CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Final Semester...

 This month marks the beginning of my final semester at Dixie State College. I have mixed feelings because I really do love school, the whole learning process and getting an education. It's an exciting but weird feeling knowing that this will be the last time I'll have classes at DSC.


My class schedule isn't particulary hard this semester--I have my journalism class for writing for "The Dixie Sun," and also a class for editing a local publication called "The Southern Quill." I'm also taking "World Literature" which I am actually looking forward to because I love learning about other cultures...what better way to do it then to read from actual authors from the places? The class i'm nervous for is the final one I need for my degree...probably the most dreaded on campus. "Senior Capstone" entails a 20 page research paper and a half-hour presentation.

I am excited about my topic though--since I write "Ask Amanda" for the Dixie Sun, my friend Elaine had a brilliant idea to write about the history of advice columns. I'm going to write about "Ask Ann Landers," "Dear Abby," and authors like Candace Bushnell and Dan Savage. I'm very interested in Dan Savage because he is also the creator of the "It Gets Better" foundation, in order to help prevent LGBT youth suicides. He is a great example of an advocate and a role model through his work. And plus...Candace Bushnell is the entire reason for "Sex and The City" hahaha what could be better?!Love Always,
Manda

0 comments: